How cute are these ! And fun for the whole family to make .
You will need
4 ounces chocalate milk or semi-sweet
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 dozen hersheys kisses
sliced almonds or peanut halves
little cinnamon candies
How to assemble
- Put the maraschino cherries in a strainer and rinse well with cold water until it runs clear. Scatter the cherries on top of a few layers of paper towel to drain and dry thoroughly, patting dry if necessary. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt together the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a bowl set over a pan of slightly simmering water, stirring until uniform and completely melted. Remove the bowl from the heat.
- Holding a cherry by the stem, dip in the melted chocolate, rolling to coat completely. Allow excess chocolate to drain off before placing the cherry on its side on the parchment-lined baking sheet (the stem should stick out from the side rather than the top). Repeat with the remaining cherries and chocolate. Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow to set.
- If the remaining chocolate mixture in the bowl has hardened, reheat over simmering water until melted again. Remove the chocolate-covered cherries from the refrigerator. Dip the flat end of a chocolate kiss into the melted chocolate, allowing excess to drain off, and then place onto the end opposite the stem end of a cherry. While holding the kiss in place, add 2 almond slices between the cherry and kiss to form ears. Use a toothpick to add 2 small dots of melted chocolate to the kiss, to adhere 2 dragees for eyes. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Place the baking sheet back in the refrigerator to set up for at least 15 minutes.