- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 (3 oz.) box of watermelon Jell-O powder (reserve 2 teaspoons for frosting)
- 1/2 cup watermelon puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- red food coloring
Watermelon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons watermelon puree
- 2 teaspoons watermelon Jell-O powder
- red and green food coloring
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of 2 eight inch round pans with wax paper, and spray the sides with cooking oil.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix and Jell-O. Add water and oil; mix on medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Add watermelon puree and beat until blended. Add red food coloring a little at a time, until you reach desired color. Place chocolate chips and a teaspoon of flour in a ziploc bag; shake to coat. Fold the chocolate chips into the batter. Pour into pans and bake for 30-35 minutes.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter together. Beat in watermelon puree. Gradually add sugar and Jell-O, beating until smooth. Color 1/3 of the frosting green, color the remaining 2/3 the same color as the cake.